Thursday, June 12, 2014

8 & 9 months

8th month:

- Luca, my mom, Sarah, and I flew to CT for a surprise trip to see my dad (I think technically this happened in Luca's 7th month, but I forgot to mention it so I am posting it here). My mom thought it would make my dad so happy to see us (and by "us" I mean Luca). So she flew us home with her when she went to visit him and he had no idea. He was totally shocked and thrilled to see us. It was a quick trip, but of course wonderful to visit with family. Luca got sick right at the beginning of the trip and since it was so cold there, we mostly just stayed in. It was low-key and pretty relaxing.
- The trip to CT was wonderful, but coming home was rough. I had worked really hard before we left for CT to get Luca on a schedule. Going to CT threw it all off, and it took me TWO weeks to get him back into his routine. That was a brutal two weeks, worth it for sure, but hard nonetheless. 
- This is the month where we discovered Luca's gag reflux. You see, I have been known to gag easily. In fact, it has been a joke for as long as I can remember where certain people find it hilarious to try and get me to gag (that sounds so odd, but it's true). Poor Luca is just like his momma. Who knew a gag reflux was genetic?  (Since I am late in posting this, I have to add that Luca at 10 months is no different. In fact it has only gotten worse since we have started giving him textured food. More on that in his 10 month post though.)
- He started blowing raspberries, which is hilarious to watch because it takes all his strength to blow them. He works so hard to do it, his face turns red, and when he's done he is very proud of himself. 
- He started giving kisses when asked too. I bet he probably would've done this sooner, but no one asked, we just stole all our kisses. This is probably my most favorite thing. The look on his face as he is coming towards you with a big, open mouth kiss- it gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME.
- At 8.5 months (April 6 to be exact) he got his first two teeth on the bottom. He got both at the same time. 
- His symptoms while teething: very drooly, a little fussy but not bad, ate less food (which means he didn't eat any real food), drank his bottles in spurts (3 oz, then a break, 3 more oz, etc. as opposed to a full 6-8 oz bottle in one sitting) and he napped less/fought it harder while they were breaking through the gums.  
- His favorite sleeping position is super cute- Josh says it reminds him of Sid from Toy Story. He sleeps on his chest and knees with his butt up in the air. In fact, since this is his favorite sleeping position, he can no longer sleep comfortably on you or in his car seat.  
- My cousin Kristina and her two girls, Jenna and Laura, came to visit on their spring break. We had so much fun with them. Luca LOVED Kristina. I think he could sense her genuine love for him, and how much fun she is. We had a blast, and wish we could see them more often. Like once a week. :) 

9th month:

       9 month stats:
             height- 28.5 inches (55%ile)
             weight- 20 lb 6 oz (62%ile)
             head circumference- 47.5 cm (97%ile)

- At his 9 month appointment, our pediatrician told us to start giving Luca all foods (except the few things babies can't have). So we started giving him a little bit of everything. And he HATED it. All food. The only thing he ate was his cereal. He wouldn't eat pureed foods, let alone textured foods. After trying and failing at so many different foods, we wanted to see what he would do with something sweet so we gave him a little bit of a chocolate milk shake. And he HATED it. Seriously? Is he my child? He hates all food- including chocolate? 
- He twirls his hair between his fingers when he is falling asleep and when he first wakes up. It's really sweet. 
- He started getting all four teeth on top....at once. Sarah said, "well he certainly doesn't do anything half way." Couldn't have said it better myself.
- He started waving this month. At first it was only in the mirror (to himself) and to Bailey (the dog). Now he waves all the time, to anyone or anything.
- He is very personable. If someone talks to him while we're out he will smile and he just conveys such sweetness. He brings such joy to my day, but I think he brings it to stranger's days as well. 
- He high fives and loooves it. He gets very excited about it.
- His top two teeth broke through this month- he's still working on the other top two.
- Easter fell during Luca's 9th month. My whole family came to Charlotte for Easter. It was great being all together, as always. I will post a separate post for Easter (hopefully soon).



And now for the part most of you skip right to (and I don't blame you), the photos:


Our CT trip:



Playing "airplane" with Papa!



 Photo shoot time- behind the scenes. 


Such a treat for Luca to play with Grams! 


Grandma love



Impromptu bath after a gagging/vomit episode.



Auntie Taylor!


Putting on a show- typical Luca behavior. :) 


Drumming for Auntie Shelley!



Bundled up for the cold CT weather.


Hilarious selfie attempt (this was the best of the ones we took).


LOVE.




I wish Luca could play with these two more often.



Poor Uncle Larry didn't get to hold Luca until the end of the night, when he was ready to go home and go to bed.


Morning Peek-A-Boo shenanigans.


Auntie H is a quick thinker, she put on a puppet show to keep Luca from getting upset.


Headed home plane selfie.


8 Months:

Last photo shoot with the chalkboard/Luca's new toy.






When I made Luca pureed bananas, he HATED them. When I ate a banana, Luca insisted on having some. 


Uncle Josh's beard is his favorite!




Excuse the close up of my face, I just love that face Luca makes.


Play date!


Helping me work at the office. 


Lee comes home for lunch everyday, which is such a treat. Lee and Luca hold hands some of the time while Lee eats. Melts my heart.





Fun day hanging out with these cuties!



Fun day with Kristina, Jenna, and Laura at The White Water Center. 



When Kristina got here, she was shocked that we didn't have a Johnny Jumper. So she went right out and bought us one. However, since we have tall ceilings it didn't work out like it was supposed to.  Luca just hung there, swinging mid air. It was hilarious- and the best part, he LOVED it! 


We got creative and put the pack and play under him, he loved that too. 



NASCAR Hall of Fame.



Like I said, he LOVED Kristina (his girlfriend). 






 9 Months:






Easter! 



Gagging. Poor guy.


He LOVES playing in his pack and play. He loves putting his face/hands up against the netting. 




First time in a restaurant high chair. Silly I know, but I documented it.




Date night with my favorites!


Luca loves playing soccer. LOVES it.


Vacuuming looks different these days. 


Sometimes you do whatever it takes to get him to drink his entire bottle.


Play date with this sweet boy!


Their morning routine: Luca eats Nana's breakfast. 


I know I already posted this one, but how could I not post it again? 
THOSE CHEEKS THOUGH.





3 comments:

  1. i cannot even handle his cuteness in these photos. those cheeks! and his closed mouth smile is THE cutest. one more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, when he sucks in his bottom lip?!? Kills me!!! Miss him so much! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the photos! (Don't know where my other comment went!) The one with him flying in the johnny jump-up kills me!! xo

    ReplyDelete