Friday, June 27, 2014

Mother's Day

I am a mother. I celebrated Mother's Day and I was celebrated on Mother's Day. That felt so surreal! There are moments in our day to day life that remind me I am a mother (like the first time I licked my finger and wiped something off of Luca's face), but it still felt strange being celebrated for it. Like- how is this even my life?

Becoming a mother has been the greatest gift I could ever receive. Growing up I always dreamt of becoming one. I was your typical girly girl, playing house, barbies, doll house- anything related to dressing up dolls or myself and having "kids". I always imagined how wonderful it would be becoming a mother. But the real thing has far surpassed all I could have ever imagined. 

Luca is the greatest blessing. I never knew what my life was missing until he arrived. People always say, "can you even remember life without him?" but I think the more appropriate question is "isn't life so much richer with him in it?" Because the truth is, nothing else has and nothing else will ever bring me such endless joy. Every single day. When I see my sweet boy's face, nothing else matters. When I get him from his crib every morning, when I turn the corner and see him playing, when I am feeding him (and he is gagging), when he is in his stroller, when he is asleep in his crib- every single time I see him I am overcome with a joy and a love that I couldn't have ever imagined. 

So while it felt completely surreal to be celebrated on Mother's Day, it was also an absolute honor. In fact, it is the greatest honor. One I am so incredibly grateful that I am blessed with. 


Becoming a mother has also given me a deeper appreciation for my own mother. I see her in a new light and I recognize all the sacrifices that she made for me over the years. But mostly, I feel more connected to her knowing that how I feel about Luca, is how she feels about me. Being Luca's mother is such a blessing, and so is having my mom as my mother. I have learned what I know about unconditional love because of her. And if I can be half the mother she is to me, I know Luca will be in good hands. 


The greatest lesson of all though, the one that overwhelms me every time I think about it is something that becoming a mother has shown me. Knowing how much I love Luca, the joy he brings me, and how blessed I feel to call him my son- makes me have a greater understanding of our Heavenly Father's love for us. And what blows my mind is that the love I feel for Luca is only a portion of His love for me. Words cannot express how grateful I am for that love.



 Love at first sight. 




1 comment:

  1. Crying over here! Beautiful! Beautiful love, beautiful life, beautiful gratitude!! Love you, momma!

    ReplyDelete