Wednesday, January 3, 2018

December 2017, Week 2

Sunday, December 10





I am slightly obsessed with the newest Royal Engagement. I did some researching/internet stalking on Meghan Markle and saw that she starred in some Hallmark movies I had seen. I am not sure why, but I felt really excited when I learned this. Maybe because it makes us that much closer to being besties?!



Auntie Marcia was in town visiting, so we did a mini Christmas with her. She is the funniest, most generous so the day was full of laughter and lots of love. 



My dad became obsessed with all things Christmas lights this year. He went to Walmart almost daily. (The irony is that he usually hates and refuses to hang Christmas lights, but this year once he committed to it- he was REALLY committed. He added new lights to their front porch/yard daily.) On one of his trips he found shotgun shell lights, which he of course bought. And then he hung them like that. The lights, the extension cords, the multiple things plugged in- all just felt so hilariously redneck. 



Post bath hangs with this cutie while daddy bathed Luca.



Jack is super into randomly throwing himself backwards. Which as you can imagine is a lot of fun for us both. 

Monday, December 11



We were early for Feeding Therapy this day so Jack did some "driving" while we waited.


"Luca, you almost done?!"



Everywhere Luca goes, Jack follows. EVERYWHERE. 



Jack loves when I tickle his face with my pony tail. Luca loved it just as much as Jack when he was his age too. Random and maybe a little weird but a detail I want to remember nonetheless.


If you can't tell, we praise A LOT when eating. Jack was eating banana this day. Like reached for and took multiple bites that he chewed AND swallowed. We had been working on banana for weeks so this felt like a huge win.


Since we praise a lot with food, Jack now sees certain foods (like yogurt) and starts clapping. Which I think is hysterical. He doesn't say the word "yogurt," he claps as if that is how you say it's name. Not like, "oh yay! yogurt!" it's more like "ooo, here comes my *clap*clap*clap*".


Tuesday, December 12




My favorite Christmas song this year, "Mother" by Love & The Outcome. It is SO good.






One boy really loves to snuggle and the other really does not. Can you guess which is which??


Post work, pre dinner chair snuggles. I really wanted to just order take out this night because snuggles from Jack are very rare! 


When Luca sees anyone snuggling he has to join in. Which, doesn't bother me one bit. I love snuggles (I wonder where Luca gets it from?) with these two.


More clapping. Not pictured: yogurt. Shocker.


This night Jack ate our dinner, paleo nachos. Never in my life has my child eaten the same home cooked meal as me. It felt amazing, on so many levels.


Wednesday, December 13



I swapped work days this week because Thursday was Luca's school Christmas Pageant. 


Working so hard to empty the cabinets while momma tries to make dinner.





This was our first year doing an advent. I have never done one before- in my entire life (that I can remember). We attempted to last year, I got a little candy one but we always forgot and ended up doing like 6 days at a time and throwing the candy away. This year, my parents got Luca a lego advent calendar. Each night we read from our advent book (thanks eKidz!), opened a lego and built it together, then we put a cotton ball on a Santa beard advent Luca made at school. I really enjoyed it! I also did my best to remember each night, but some nights we we did end up building quite a few legos. 



He has become so much better at building legos by himself. He has always loved them, but mostly he liked to watch you build things and then he would play with whatever you built. Now, he builds things on his own and he can build something with directions and guidance from an adult. During his rest time he likes to play with his legos and he always comes down with something new for my desk. 


Thursday, December 14



I thought Luca looked extra cute so I told him that and said I wanted to take his photo. 


He responded by opening his arms and declaring, "This is what humans do when they look cute. They give the ones they love a hug." Which is so funny to me on so many levels. First, "humans." Clearly we are VERY into Rescue Bots over here. Second, how lovey is he?! His first thought when he receives a compliment is to show love and be affectionate. He does this often (but never voices it like he did this day). If I am simply telling him I love him, or saying something sentimental (telling him why I am proud of him, why I love him, etc.) he senses the tone of the conversation and always gets this look in his eye, tilts his head down and says "aww!" and needs a hug immediately. 



I mean, is he not the cutest?!



I was beyond excited for his Christmas Pageant at school. I really love these kind of things. It felt so surreal to me that I was attending one of these for MY child. I remember teaching at them and attending for kids I nannied but this time it was my baby up there. I got really emotional during it. Like alarmingly so. I am not sure if it was because it felt so surreal, or if watching your child sing about baby Jesus did it. I mean, Christmas songs usually get me good each year, but I think there is something extra meaningful to "Away in a manger no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down His sweet head" when it is coming from the mouth of your baby. 



Sweet little spectator happily sitting with his BFF, pops. 



My sweet shepard boy! They had the kids arranged so that they were on the sides of the sanctuary and not all up front so that parents could see their child. They also labeled the pews in the sanctuary with your child's name so that you were sitting near where your child would be standing. Genius ideas because we got to sit right beside Luca and watch and cheer him on proudly and actually get to see his face the whole time. I didn't see what happened up front, I am assuming something with animals, wise men, etc. because I saw the costumes walk by but my eyes were glued on this one particular shepard. 


I tell you what, kids in costumes at pageants KILL ME. 


Spotting Nana and Pops in our row. 


That is his proud, excited, slightly embarrassed face.



We were right by a huge window so some of my photos aren't the best as the sun was beaming in on us the whole time. 



Luca did SO well. He sang and did the motions and was so happy the entire time. His teacher told me afterwards that during rehearsal he didn't sing or do any motions so she was nervous at what he would do. Which is so funny because he was singing loudly and proudly at home in the weeks leading up to it. You never would have guessed he didn't participate in rehearsals because he nailed it! After the pageant was over I asked what his favorite song was to sing and he said, "Still, Still".






"Go, tell it on the mountain!"



Looking at his "baby" in his arms so sweetly. 



All done, and so proud of himself. 






See? Luca hugs.


Jack swats. 


I tried so hard to get a photo of the three of us. (Lee couldn't get the time off from work so he watched the videos I took that night with Luca.)








Beyond done with photos and the costume and ready for cookies. Can't blame me for trying. 



Lee's work had their Holiday party this night, so my parents came over and watched the boys while we went. It was so nice to be out with him and also meet his co-workers and see him in his work element. I tell you what, I sure do love that man. And I love how his "work element" reflects such a man of integrity and compassion. 




Friday, December 15



Luca loves waking up and getting to climb into Jack's crib and "play." He will often take off Jack's sleep sack, hug (of course), and then "chase" him. 


I should clarify and say that Jack doesn't mind Luca's hugs. In fact, I think he likes them. At first. 


But after the first few seconds where Luca is still hanging on tightly, Jack is over it. 


I took the boys to see Santa this day. We took Luca when he was Jack's age and he hated it. It ended up being one of my favorite pictures though because it looks like Luca and I took Lee to see Santa (see below) and it makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. Luca did great this year, sat right down with Santa and was happy as could be telling him what he and Jack want for Christmas. My mistake with Jack was attempting to sit him on Santa's knee. I should've just known and sat down holding him, then maybe we would have had less tears and more of a smile. 




We celebrated a successful Santa visit with a cookie treat. Jack was not at all into a photo with said cookie, he just wanted to eat it. 




"Seriously? Why aren't we eating it yet?!"


FINALLY. 




Jack's new trick! Climbing up and down on the ottomans. Over and over and over again. 




The boys went to my parents for the weekend. I was packing them while they played in Jack's crib. It was Jack's first sleepover without us, and also the first time they went for a weekend. Since Jack didn't take a bottle, we hadn't gone on a date that lasted longer than 3 hours since before he was born. I almost backed out while packing them up because, oh my heart. But I knew I needed to not cancel and toughen up. Spending the weekend with Lee kid free was something we desperately needed. 


Saturday, December 16



On our weekend kid free, we started and finished all of our Christmas shopping. We spent most of the time busy getting things done and most of Saturday night apart. Lee was building some things in the garage while I finished shopping online. It was a really nice day, and we accomplished so many things! Which, we never would have been able to do with two kids in tow. So grateful my parents are willing and able to take the boys. Now we just need to get them to do it again and this time we need to plan a romantic, restful getaway. 




1 comment:

  1. So many great shots and captures! I laughed out loud at the Christmas lights, Christmas photo of Lee and Santa and the attempts at the pageant. Hooray for the eating success and sharing meals! And for a weekend date! Luca's shepherd costume and pageant still kills me as does his adorable smiley face. Love those boys! xo

    ReplyDelete