Thursday, July 11, 2019

Nashville! (end of June/beginning of July 2019)

Friday, June 28



On our way to Nashville! I originally planned to use the iPads once we hit the halfway mark, but I caved after about 45 minutes. Once they had the iPads, they did REALLY well the entire trip (which took us just under 9 hours). And my mom and I had some great conversations and listened and discussed the enneagram podcast episodes Annie F. Downs posted. 


We stopped for lunch at Chick Fil A which took forever. Jack was tired and tired and tired and didn't want to sit and eat (who could blame him?). So we went outside and he climbed and we walked and then after a few minutes he sighed and said, "ok, I guess I am ready to go sit and eat now." We went back in and he ate but didn't sit- instead, he acted like his chair was his very own jungle gym at the same time Luca insisted that he come sit on my lap and snuggle. It was kind of tiring, to be honest. One arm holding Jack so he doesn't smash his face and the other holding Luca. Needless to say, I ate my lunch in the car.

After a really exhausting pit stop, Luca stood and held the door for an older woman as she exited Chick Fil A. She thanked him and then told me I should be proud because not many children do what he did. So, even though I was tired, sweaty, and wanted to cry a little bit from exhaustion- that act of kindness and the woman's intentional words seemed to lighten that load a good bit. Being a parent is hard. HARD. But those moments, the same moments that are mixed in with the chaos and the hard- they are so rewarding and serve as such a good reminder of what you're investing in. 



Car naps. 



We made it!!!

This night we took the boys to the park so they could burn some energy and then went back to Sarah's to make them dinner. We ordered out (for the adults) and had it delivered, from Burger Up (one of my favorites). 


Saturday, June 29


This day we had plans to go to see two little girls that Sarah watches who are the same ages as the boys. We met them at their neighborhood pool. 

Jack woke up really early this day, but my mom jumped right up and got up with him. I was so thankful because I was so tired I could barely move. 




Mom and Sarah made me breakfast. 


 While the boys fought like a Rescue Bot vs a morbot.





Breakfast. 






The boys had a lot of fun with their new friends. They all got along really well. And the pool was the perfect activity for them to stay cool and be active. 












After the pool, we did baths and naps/rest time. We had planned to go out to a park and then make dinner but Sarah's sink broke while we were out. So we ended up staying in so that her maintenance guy could come to fix it. Which worked out in the end because Jack was very tired and emotional that night. 



"Pretend you're watching TV" (2/5 were actually pretending)




Meanwhile back at home, this handsome guy got his hair cut and sent me a selfie. 



Sunday, June 30


Jack woke offensively early this day. 





Auntie played with the boys while my mom and I got ready for church. They played hide and seek and this spot was the best- they could not find her! (Neither could I at first!)


Her face peeking out from under the clothes kills me. 





Auntie didn't try to keep them quiet while her roommate slept. At all. Nor did she stress about how loud they were for her downstairs neighbors.



At church! Luca's friend from the day before was in his class, which he was very excited about. 

When I went to pick Luca up from his class one of his teachers said, "Who is Luca's mom?" So I said I was and she came over and raved about how he was the kindest, most well-mannered boy she had ever met. She talked for multiple minutes about it and I teared up. I was SO proud.


Jack did great too! 

I was really excited to go to Sarah's church. I watch/listen to their sermons and really love it. A lot. being there in person felt surreal and it was just as amazing as I thought it would be. 


After church, we ran to Sarah's Trader Joe's to get some things and then went back and made lunch. The boys rested while we cooked. 



After naps, we went to the park. There is a museum in this particular park that looks like the Parthenon. When we pulled in Luca said, "that looks like a Jesus building- like a temple" and referred to it as the temple every time he talked about it. We parked and walked over to this statue they have and Luca goes, "I think that's a prophet." I loved hearing him use those words, the fact that he knows them, and that when he sees things- that is what he associates them to. 








(those sunglasses over the ears though.)










After the park we came home and played duck, duck, goose then had dinner. Nana had been in the middle of the circle because she got caught and was told she had to stay there while the boys ate. Which made me laugh because she listened! 

We ordered from Burger Up again because there was a little ordering mishap the first time and mom and I wanted a redo (our burgers were rare the first time we got it). 


Sarah and my mom went to pick up the burgers, but first, we all read bedtime stories together. I think it's those moments that I love the most- doing the day to day tasks we always do- but all together. 


When they left, I put the boys to bed and we all snuggled together. It felt really special, I think because when you travel with kids and are in someone else's space it can feel a little stressful and I felt like I was less fun and more negative than usual trying to ensure they weren't too loud or didn't break anything- you know? So these snuggles were much needed for my momma heart this night. 






Back at home, this guy spent lots of time exercising with his fresh hair cut and beard trim. 



Monday, July 1



My mom woke with the boys again this day, bless her. Jack slept later, praise Jesus, and when he woke my mom was also awake for the day (or so she says). They did a "bed set up" where they make a "bed" and then bring over lots of things to do/play/read/things they may need in case of emergency. Some of the things Luca brings in his "set up" really cracks me up. 


We started our day at Five Daughters Bakery to get donuts. It was the CUTEST. They sold GF/DF/Paleo donuts as well as regular ones. 

They had multiple areas to take photos in front of and a little play area outside for kids. It wasn't very busy when we went and the play area was well shaded so we stayed for quite a bit to play/eat/have photo shoots. 






My favorite was the paleo mint chocolate donut (not pictured), Jack's was the chocolate one, and Luca's was the birthday cake one (right). The other one was a vanilla cream one. All of them were really good.










She is the cutest. 



I tried to copy her, but I am just not cute like her. 











Rescue Bot poses! 





I was hoping to get a nice photo with them, we started with the fun pose first and then they were done. 


I was so bummed. 





I didn't know my mom took this one, but when we were sharing photos later in the day it made me laugh out loud when I saw it. 


We were getting ready to leave and Sarah and I took Jack to the bathroom. While we were in the bathroom, Luca asked my mom to take all of these photos below. He came up with all the poses and smiled so sweetly for all of them! 










So when Jack and I came back out, I jumped on that opportunity and tried to sneak in some pictures with both of them. 


Success!





This series kills me...Jack trying so hard to be like Luca. 




I could literally eat them, why are they so cute?!

















Sarah and I were really into pretending that the dinosaur was actually giving us a ride around the town. 



The boys...not so much. 






Rescue bot pose again. 



After the bakery, we went to a park that was right in the heart of the city. It was so cool! There was a fun play area with "innovative" things to play on, a fun stage, and a splash pad. The park things were too hot to play on, but the boys jumped at the opportunity to be on stage. Shocker. 


Luca instructed me to take a video of their performance. So that is what I did. 



The splash pad was really cool- it wasn't level so some of the water collected a little bit on one end like a giant puddle. It was perfect for the boys since they don't love getting their heads wet which typically happens at a splash pad.





The parents behind Luca were both motioning to their kids to stop doing whatever they were doing. The live photo of them is hysterical! I didn't even notice until hours after we left the park.








Right beside the park is the walking bridge that goes over the river and brings you to the main strip in Nashville (I have no idea the name of the road- Honky Tonk? Music Row? The touristy part? No clue.)


We loved looking down from the bridge, waving to kayakers, and playing I Spy. 





Rescue bot pose, again. 







We packed a picnic lunch and went back to the stage to eat it. Luca said this was the best part of his day. 


After we got home, we did baths and Jack napped. Luca did another "bed set up". 



Jack woke from his nap with the best bed head (and gave the best snuggles). 



We made an earlier dinner and then went to 12 South to get some ice cream from Jeni's. It was really good. Then we walked down a few blocks so I could peek in Draper James, and we ended up finding some fun murals to take pictures in front of. 






Oh and a bison! 



Sarah said Luca's face when he saw this up close was the best. His jaw dropped and he beamed!







Emerson Grace! One of my very favorite girls wears that name.





Tuesday, July 2



Headed back home. We had the most fun with Sarah! We all loved the city, Luca especially kept commenting on how beautiful it was. 

While we had the best time, we were all very ready to see daddy.



The drive to and from Nashville is really beautiful. 



Jack doing jumping jacks is my very favorite. 


We pulled in to see this- Lee was waving pool noodles and he was beaming! 




He (and his dad) had gotten us gifts! Lee went out on Sunday and bought each of us a special gift and then wrapped them! We were so surprised! He did not like us being gone, at all. 


Lee got me these beautiful bowls I mentioned wanting months ago. 


He got Jack a new monster truck. 


And Luca a drone! 

The best gift of all though? Being together again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment