Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Luca's birthday! (and the beach part 4)

Friday, July 19


Today's sunrise. 


This day was Luca's birthday! 


I tried my best to do all the same things we do to make birthdays feel special at home, at the beach. So he woke to balloons on his bedroom floor. Lucky for Jack, they shared a room at the beach so he did too! 



They love seeing how the house is decorated on their birthday. 



We've never done a donut cake for breakfast before, but this year it happened to be Krispy Kreme's birthday and they came out with a limited time birthday donut (filled with frosting) that was only available for 4 days, one of which was on Luca's birthday. So Lee woke up early and went to get donuts for him (and us). Thankfully, my mom did some research once she heard about the birthday cake donut and found one right near the condo. 





Sweet boy is 6!




We donut usually do donuts for breakfast but birthdays on vacation- how could we not? Also I snagged donut plates and napkins from Target in June when it was national Donut day. 


Some of the balloons had migrated downstairs.




Crusty frosting face! 

I'm not sure where I was at this point, maybe getting beach ready. I think I got these pictures from Abby, but it looks like the sugar kicked in fast. 








I cannot with these two!





This series with J and Isaac are the sweetest. 







We spent the day at the beach. This morning, we all spent a lot of time playing in the sand and it was a lot of fun. 







I was building a sand castle with the boys....


...and J had started digging a really big hole. 



We quickly lost Jack to the hole digging. 


They were all super into it! 




...and then...


...I lost Luca to the hole digging. 


Naturally, I had to finish the castle though. #enneagram1



They came for a picture...


 ...and of course to destroy it.











Jack asked if he could bury me and I agreed. He got a little over zealous and started putting sand up to my neck, haha. Then with Lee's help, they made me a mermaid. 



Then I made Luca and Jack into cheetahs, I think? You can't really tell because while I did my best, creating sand creatures isn't a strength of mine. 



Still working on that hole. 








When Lee got his lip sunscreen, he also got this tiny umbrella for ten bucks. It blew over a lot, I walked into it a lot, but it provided shade on some really hot and sunny days so it was worth it. 





There was a guy laying on the beach one night while H and Lou went for a nightly swim. I forget exactly how it came up but we started joking about posing on the beach, Lee did while everyone was up at lunch so I sent H a picture. 


Just practicing some splits. 





The kids started racing and it turned into quite the life lesson for Luca because Jamya was really fast. Much faster than Luca. He was really bummed out about it and came up to me and said, "I thought I was the fastest, but Jamya keeps beating me." Such a hard lesson, when you actually believe your parents and yourself and think you're the fastest person in the world, only to learn that you, in fact, are not. He was pretty bummed and sad and started to have a pretty sour attitude. I suggested to him that instead of being sad about it, perhaps he could ask Jamya for some tips on how to run faster like she does. So he did! And then she gave him "lessons" full of pointers and tips and would coach him as he ran and it was the best thing to witness. 





These two!!


I was the finish line for a while, but then they insisted I race too (see Jamya with her arms out? she became the temporary finish line, little cutie). 



I'm not really sure what I was thinking but I ran to Lee (the other finish line) and attempted to jump like he was going to hoist me up into the air. He had no idea that's what I was going for (because why would he?!) and was just sitting there waiting for a high five when I came at him. Needless to say I fell. Hard. And we laughed so hard for so long. 


Look at Jamya's leg muscles though, no wonder she's so fast. That girl is strong! 

(While I am typing this post Luca is looking over my shoulder begging me for a cookie. He saw the picture above of Jamya and said, "Jamya was so fast, she kept winning. I was fast, but I lost it and Jamya took it!" hahahah.)



After the beach we came back, took baths, and then set up for Luca's party. Luca set the table and picked who got what masks and where they all went. It was so sweet to see him put so much thought into it. 



This is 6.








Once everyone was home/awake, we started to party! We did presents first. I love giving Luca gifts because he is always so excited and makes the best faces when opening presents. 






Nana used some super glittery paper and it kept getting in Luca's eyes. We had to pause to clean it off of him because it was everywhere

It was also at this point that I said we were going to throw all of the wrapping paper (with glitter) away. Jack heard me wrong and burst into (loud) sobs thinking I said we were going to throw away Luca's new Batman Hot Wheels. I quickly clarified and Jack goes, "oh" and immediately stopped crying. It was so cute and painful and funny all at once. Sweet boy! He was genuinely so upset and baffled as to why I would throw away a brand new toy!






That excitement though!








Dinner time! Luca requested pancakes for his birthday meal. There were only a few spots at the table where Luca sat and he chose Jack, Jamya, Isaac, Daddy, Nana, and Pops to sit with him. The friends at the table also got to wear masks while they ate. #theluckyones





My dad wore his the entire meal, which I loved.



We didn't get a spot at the table. Or masks. #rejecttable





Cake time! Luca wanted a Rescue Bot cake. He chose a Lion King and Rescue Bots combination for his party theme. 




Sneaking some frosting!














I have no idea what he was doing with his tongue out in all those photos, but clearly I am his biggest fan. 




After cake we all sat and told Luca what we loved about him. My very favorite birthday tradition. 








Jamya was nervous to say hers outloud in front of everyone so she whispered it and H relayed it to Luca. 


Hugs for everyone! 




After the kids were in bed, we all played Family Feud. Minus Lee and my dad. Who technically participated but didn't want to "play" because they don't like games. 




We lost, but we had fun. 









Saturday, July 20


Come on!

My last sunrise devotional over the ocean for the week.








The boys were playing The Lion King, this was Pride Rock. 

H and Lou left early this am. We spent the morning packing/cleaning. 








Leftover birthday donuts. 



After we left, we met my parents at Friendly's for lunch. Then we made the drive home. 


Car was loaded up with all the birthday goodies! 




We stopped multiple times for Jack to go pee on the side of the road, by the time we got to an actual bathroom he couldn't hold it anymore. We put him in a pull up but even then he wouldn't pee in it (I told him pull ups aren't for peeing either back when we potty trained him and he stuck to it!).


Once we got home we had a low key evening unpacking/doing laundry/resting. 





Auntie H and family got Luca this donut pillow for his birthday. It was waiting for us when we got home. 



What a week! It was nice to be back in our own space but man was it hard saying goodbye. We had the best week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment