Monday, March 5, 2018

2018, Week 8 (Feb 18-24)

Sunday, February 18


I worked out this morning and then we all went for a walk around the neighborhood. They are building a really big plaza next to the neighborhood beside us so we walked over to see the trucks. Since it was Sunday they weren't working, so we just got to see the trucks from afar. 


We invited my parents over for dinner and a fire. Apparently my dad had been craving a s'more for sometime (I had no idea!) so he jumped at the chance to come (per my mom). 








Monday, February 19



For some reason, I had the biggest (irrational) fear of going to the fitness center in our community. I am not sure why or where it stems from exactly, though I do have a better understanding now that I have spent some time thinking about it and talking it through with my therapist (Dr. Masse). I am sure a small part of it was potentially looking like a fool as I ran for 1 minute on the treadmill and couldn't breathe or not knowing what to do with the free weights. But, I don't think that was the main reason as I generally don't put much weight in that kind of thing. I have been working with a personal trainer and she writes me three workouts to do after our sessions. One of them she writes for me to do in the fitness center, and this day I decided that I was going to make myself go and do it. Prior to this day, Lee called me out for being afraid so I think saying it out loud helped me to hear how ridiculous it was and also kinda forced me to get over it since someone else knew and could hold me accountable. 

I arrived at the fitness center at 6 am and it was empty. And it stayed empty the entire hour I was there. When I walked in and it was empty, I laughed out loud. Because, I had waited far too long to venture there for what? All I could think about was Pastor Steven's newest spoken word for 2018 "I Will Be Confident." 

"...this is not the time to compromise or entertain a thousand lies and a million reasons why I can't or it won't or it's not or I'll never. I have heard it before, so shut up, devil." 

That part in particular is what I kept thinking about. My chatterbox was filling my mind and my heart with these awful lies, and I was believing them. Pastor Steven preached this past weekend (the weekend of March 3/4 called "Dysfunctional Comfort") and he said something along the lines of sometimes we listen to our chatterbox, or the lies (dysfunction), because it's more comfortable than stepping out. That hit me hard- how true is that? That is exactly what walking into the fitness center felt like- it felt so much harder than believing all those lies. But then, once I got in there? Once my feet stepped inside, I loved it. I loved all of it. I loved the smell (super weird I know but it's true), the feeling of being there, I loved the time I spent, I loved working out in a space other than my living room, I loved seeing all the equipment. I loved it so much, that I honestly don't think I will work out at home anymore. I think when I work out at home I can never fully turn my mom brain off, but walking two minutes up the road and into the fitness center I can. It felt like true self care- time away to better improve and enhance myself and my life. And take time for me. Time to invest in a better life for me (and therefore all the people around me). It never ceases to amaze me how free you feel when you stop listening to the lies and step out in faith. No matter what that looks like- whether it be going to the fitness center or something completely different. The life Jesus has for us, when we walk in faith, is full of such freedom and joy, regardless of circumstance. When you are close to Him, you are free. In all areas. And that to me, is such an incredible truth that took me far too long to learn. 


Jack's cheeks and the hair curls KILL ME. 

Lee had today off because it was President's Day, but Luca had school. So after we dropped Luca at school we ran to Trader Joe's and I also convinced him to make a quick stop at Michael's on the way. 


I wish he could be home everyday, it felt like such a treat to have an extra day with him. 


After we picked Luca up from school, Lee took him on a special date. Luca was, as you can imagine, beyond thrilled. They went to the bounce house place and Luca had a blast. They ended up going to Target too and Luca picked out a new toy (PJ Mask toy- a new obsession has begun) because Lee had intended for them to also play at the arcade (which is at the bounce house place) but they have added some new games that are really inappropriate for little eyes and it caused them to leave early and skip the arcade. 


Meanwhile, back at home, this guy had a rough day. He was beyond cranky and irritable and couldn't nap well and didn't want to eat and was feisty


All he would eat for lunch were grapes. 


His ability to make a seat out of anything never gets old. He was so thrilled with the seat he found this day. 


The teething struggle means a glass of wine for momma. 


Just living his best life in complete comfort. Lee ran out to get dinner and Luca and I (and my glass of wine) stayed home.


Tuesday, February 20



Work day! Luca was there (as evidenced by the photo above) and Jack paid me multiple visits as well (as evidenced by the photos below as well as the spit marks left on the office doors). 




Wednesday, February 21



I got this text from Amy and it made me laugh out loud (excuse the language) because that is my life. Jack is an adventurer for sure! 


After we dropped Luca at school Jack and I ran to Whole Foods to stock up on our favorite crackers and some other goodies. That smile is because I pulled out his very favorite snack (bunny grahams). 





Luca made that police officer at school. He cut everything out himself and glued it down himself and he was so proud. 

Also, side note, Jack is super into being in photos now. If he hears you say smile he will look and smile. And since he is usually in super close proximity to Luca, he is usually in the background of almost all his photos now, smiling happily. 



Lunch time smiles. 


My new favorite easy go to lunch- egg salad with everything but the bagel seasoning and Simple Mills Rosemary and Sea Salt crackers. 



Post lunch clean up! Such a happy helper. 



New shoe obsession- flip flops. 


Luca made me a police station with his legos this day for my office. (He often makes things and tells me where they should go- most things are for my office.)


Luca had been asking to make a police officer out of paper for a few days. When his police officer came home from school this day, I knew why. He loved it so much so we did it again at home. 


He cut it all and glued it all. Poor guy has some wonky limbs but Luca was so proud and adamant about adding limbs to this version of the police officer. 


After naps, we went outside to play. 







It was so warm out, Jack's long sleeve shirt was too hot so we took it off. He seemed to be very aware and quite pleased with no shirt on. 








Thursday, February 22



Luca struggled getting out of bed this day. I'll be honest, on these days I am so tempted to just let him sleep. 


I could eat him up. 


Special delivery! I was working and he slid this under the door for me.


Friday, February 23



I went back to the fitness center this day and loved it. 


We were meeting friends at the park this morning and Luca was so excited about it. However, the wait time just about did him in. Homeboy was ready to go and play. So we played with filters for a bit to distract him. 


We had the best time at the park. It was really warm (like, we should've all worn shorts) and fun to meet our friends there. And it was a new park with a merry go round which Luca loved (you can see him in the background of the above photo). Also, I always unintentionally match the boys. This day it was grey sweatpants and a green and blue t shirt. 


After the park we came home and I gave both boys a bath, changed them into shorts and put them down for rest time. Luca snapped some photos of me reading to Jack before his nap, and the photos came out so good! 



After the boys went down for naps, all of a sudden I did not feel well. My nose was congested, my throat hurt, and I had body aches. It was so strange! It came out of no where. 


Luca made a heart with his toys during rest time (heart is the shape of the month at school). 


After Lee got home from work, I ran to Blakeney to meet my mom. We were looking for a dress for her and I had an appointment. After our brief shopping trip, I went to my appointment then ran to Target to grab some things we needed. I still didn't feel well but made myself go to Target because it was right next door to where I was and it felt silly to drive all the way back the next day. 

When I was out, Luca had a special date with daddy after Jack went to bed. He had asked earlier in the week for a play doh date, so that was the plan before I left. When I got home, I saw that he apparently changed it to a coloring date with daddy. I love him and all his date ideas. I especially love the dad Lee is to him and Jack (and that he also signs his name on the pictures he colors). 


Saturday, February 24



Today was Luca's first day of the spring soccer season. He looks so much bigger to me this day than he did last year on his first day. 


Flexing his muscles. 








Watching his brother so happily. 


After soccer was over we stayed to let the boys run around in the field. It was so nice out. 


Jack wasn't interested in running but rather wanted to play in this dug out, going up and down the little step up into the dug out and then back down and repeat. 


And risk getting all the splinters from this old bench. Because why would he not touch it again and again?



I teared up a bit as I was running across the field with Luca because I feel so blessed to live this life. I have three of the very best boys and we get to spend our Saturday mornings running around in the sunshine. This is the very best life.



After soccer we came home and cleaned out/organized the garage. Then we snuggled and hung out for the rest of the day until church since I still wasn't feeling great.  


I know I am bias as his mother, but I love Luca's art. 


Especially his abstract Chase. 


Leading up to Valentine's Day I put one heart each day on the boys doors saying why we loved them. Luca loved it so much he wanted more hearts so I added a few more after Valentine's Day and snapped a picture this day to remember it. 



Ready for church! 



...until he realized what going to church meant.


I am posting this last picture because it makes me laugh out loud. During the sermon, I stood and was clapping at something Pastor Steven said. I was taking notes on my phone so I was holding it as I clapped. I thought I had locked it but somehow my hand opened the camera mid clap and I snapped multiple photos of myself that look like the above photo. The best part is, they are live photos so you can hear all that is going on when you watch them. 

1 comment:

  1. Such an extraordinary-ordinary week! I love the comparison of Luca for soccer - so much older and so strong! And Jack is totally edible. I don't know how you get anything done with those sweet faces in your door-windows and special deliveries under the door! Also, I love the hearts on the door idea and am going to need to adopt it as a tradition! Lastly, love your fitness-center adventure and newfound love! Love watching you crash your chatterbox even more! #breakthrough #xoxo

    ReplyDelete