Tuesday, August 6, 2019

second week of July (7th-13th) 2019

Sunday, July 7

We practice Sabbath on Sundays. I listened to a really incredible podcast series from John Mark Comer's Bridgetown Church and learned so much. Ever since listening, Lee and I have shifted our weeks and now intentionally Sabbath once a week. It has been truly incredible to see how things shift when we intentionally stop and are restful and worshipful. One of the things I do on Sabbath is to try to put my phone down and not touch it all day long. Which is truly restful for me, but it means I don't take any pictures. Sometimes, I will take some on Lee's phone, but this day I didn't. Since I am playing blog catch up a month later- I also don't remember what we did.

Some of the practices we have implemented though is we usually start the day by eating something sweet, usually meaning I make pancakes for breakfast (and keep a stash of leftovers in the freezer). The boys love this part of Sabbath, naturally. Because Sabbath is a practice, we are still trying to figure out what works best for us and how to execute it well so that we can be both restful AND worshipful. What is restful and worshipful for me isn't always the same for Lee, so we're working on finding that balance. I don't typically do the dishes all day, we don't run any errands, I don't make any to-do lists (on my phone or in my mind), we take naps, we play and often I find that it is on Sabbath that we say "yes" to the boys way more often, we are intentional in our conversations, my devotional time looks a bit different than the other days of the week, we sleep in.

I love practicing Sabbath and am so grateful I learned about it and realized how important that commandment is to follow. Not because it is another rule we have to follow, but because I have seen how it is, as always, FOR me not a requirement OF me.



Monday, July 8




This morning I took the boys to our chiro appointment, and then we had some time to kill before their dentist appointment. My plan was to go to a park and have a picnic, but it was really hot out. So after playing for about 5 minutes, we went back to the car for some AC and made it a car picnic. 




Jack's first dentist appointment! 

I switched the dentist the boys see from a pediatric one to the one Lee and I go to. I am so glad I did. And the boys did great! Jack sat there the entire time like a champ! Luca was a little bit nervous because we switched and it was all going to be new. He had been going to the other dentist since he first started going. And even then, he didn't love going. It wasn't until his last visit that he actually let them do all the things they were supposed to do. 

A lot of our dentist visits consisted of a lot of screaming and kicking and not sitting in the chair (thanks to a very afraid little boy). So to be totally honest I was a little nervous about having them both be seen at the same time, in two different rooms, at a new dentist's office. We prayed on the way up in the elevator, and both boys did phenomenally. I stayed mostly with Jack and Luca did GREAT on his own. I was so proud. 



Jack's face when the hygeniest moved the TV down so it was closer to his face. 

Both boys asked, "what is that??!!?" when TV commercials came on. We don't have cable and we mostly watch Netflix, haha. It made me laugh that they both asked and had no idea- like why on earth is my show being interrupted?! How dare they!!






Jack woke from his nap super snuggly.


His crossed legs! Plus, he takes up all of my legs when he lays on me now. He is getting so big! 



Tuesday, July 9


Summer mornings- slow to get going, reading together, and laughing. My very favorite. 





Jack decided he was going to participate in boot camp, so he did! He did so great. He needed a little extra guidance, but man is he the cutest little participant. 












Luca's face! Holding that squat is hard!




...and then Jack was about done for the day. (crossed legs!)



Cool down and snacks at home. 


We then played catch/baseball. 






First meal in my new bowl. 


The boys wanted to have lunch with their stuffed animals this day, which started a week long attachment to said stuffed animals that they both lovingly named "Fuzzy". Actually, Jack picked the name and Luca copied it, which is a detail I don't want to forget. Because as much as Jack looks up to Luca, Luca also looks up to Jack. And sometimes, Jack holds his own and I love that. 


I will never not love or take selfies when they want to snuggle with me. 


I met a friend for dinner at a vegan restaurant I had been wanting to try. It was SO good. This was manicotti with cashew ricotta, and it was amazing. 

After dinner, my cousin Matt was in town for work and was visiting my parents so I stopped over there to see him. It was my first time seeing him since he died, multiple times, after suffering a massive heart attack two years prior. I don't have any pictures, but it was really wonderful to see and squeeze him. He is a miracle! 



Wednesday, July 10



Lee's battery died the night before at work. He made it home, but since I had dinner plans he went early the next morning to get a new battery. But that meant he had to jump start his car in order to get going. Luca was still asleep, but Jack was up and was fascinated to watch. When Lee lifted the hood of his car Jack said, "ooo, I like your engine daddy!" He is such a sweet boy, always, always, always thinking of ways to encourage/engage/uplift.


Once Lee left, Jack and I went back inside and he was very upset that Luca was still sleeping and I wouldn't let him go wake him up. 


Can you see the tears still in his eyes? Man the bond between those two is strong. 


Again, his crossed feet! I love when he sits that way. 

I had an eye appt this morning, so once we were all up and dressed I dropped the boys off at my dad's. After my appointment, I had to go work at the office for a couple of hours. 




The boys got new masks and snorkles for the beach and they (Jack especially) loved them. 



Luca art. His art sometimes involves cutting and glueing things into his drawings. 


I love seeing what he draws/creates. 


Jack wore his goggles all night long. He was obsessed.




(Guess what Lee is looking at? The bird book.)



Luca had a date with us this night. At first, he wanted to work on his math workbook from school, but then he quickly changed his mind and wanted to do a workout. I love what boot camp is instilling in him. 



Thursday, July 11 


The boys were playing in Luca's room, when I walked in and I saw this it made me smile because it's so sweet and nurturing. But it also made me laugh because Luca was obsessed with "Fuzzy" all week this week and it felt a little random/funny.


At breakfast this day I grabbed this paper towel and gave it to my child to use while he ate breakfast. Neither child would use it- not only that, but they both acted completely offended that I would even offer it. One child actually cried, real tears, declaring they would never use such a paper towel. 

Sometimes, I don't get kids. I tried suggesting, "don't you want that bonus piece! it is extra!" But they wouldn't have it. Whatever. I used it and I felt great about the bonus piece.


I looked over and saw them licking the extra syrup from their plates. Living their best life. 

Guess who could've used an extra bonus paper towel piece to wipe up their syrup-y faces?! 



Boot camp! Jack joined again too. He didn't last very long this day, but I just love that he joins in at all. 



Jack was napping, Luca was resting, I was working.

Friday, July 12



"Fuzzy" is actually the stuffed dog my dad brought to the hospital for Luca when he was born. I was feeling super nostalgic thinking back to it this day, a week before his 6th birthday, so I made myself a comparison photo. 




These two love a good "set up" and always ask me to take a photo of it/them and it. They are always so proud! 

While their set up is super cool, I mostly love how they are looking at each other in these. 




Eating breakfast and bird watching. This is mid-30's I guess. 


I will never not take a selfie when he chooses to snuggle with me. Especially because as snuggly as he is, it isn't as often as it once was. 





I was packing for our beach vacation this afternoon and wanted to pack those masks for Luca's birthday party (which fell during the beach week). They had so much fun wearing them and trying to create, as best they could, an entire costume of random things in order to look like each rescue bot. Here is how they did that- they collected all the green things they could and made a pile, all the red things, orange things, blue things, etc. and then asked me to somehow make a costume out of said items. This happened over and over again for about an hour as I tried to pack. The catch is that the items they collected were not really things you could piece together and make a costume, because they chose things like hard toys. We did put a belt around Luca's chest to strap a bandana on but that was the best I could do while also trying to pack. 

My favorite part was how creative they were in collecting items and how each one they collected had a specific purpose like, "this would be great for a windshield". I loved hearing their imaginations at work. 


Saturday, July 13




I finished packing this morning while Lee played with the boys. 


We left for the beach just after lunch. It took us a little over three hours to get there. It rained really hard almost the whole way and thundered and lightninged too. Not ideal traveling conditions but I was hopeful it would be the only rainy day of the week. 


The view from our condo for the week! Grey and stormy but still so beautiful! 


Once we arrived and got settled into our rooms, we went out to Burger Fi for dinner. After dinner, Lee and my dad took the boys back and put them to bed while the rest of us ran to get groceries for the week. H and Lou didn't arrive until later that night since their drive was much longer than ours. 


In the front room of the condo, there was a pool table that entertained the boys for quite a while while we got organized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment