Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Easter 2019

Easter this year went a little bit differently than we originally planned thanks to a stomach bug. We still had a really great worshipful weekend, squeezing in rest and fun.

Sarah flew in from Nashville Friday morning. Jack had a stomach bug the day before, so our plan for the day was to stay home so that Jack could rest and recover from a rough 24 hours the day prior. Lee was off from work, and I had a quick morning hair appointment to fix something. We spent the day resting and relaxing.

I had planned to take the boys to Duck Donuts and then Freedom Park on Thursday, but since Jack woke sick, we obviously didn't go. Luca was super bummed, mostly about missing out on Duck Donuts. So we made the drive up on Saturday, once everyone seemed healthy again, so we could have a re-do. We didn't have the same amount of time though, we only had time for the donuts. After we got home, we ate lunch and played, had rest time, then went to church.




The back seat situation in our Passat isn't ideal for 5 passengers, but we make it work. 


We had to wake Jack from his nap in order to get to church. Which was fine, but he was NOT photo shoot ready. 




Jack's face in the pre-church pictures kill me. 



Trying so hard to make him smile. 


But he refused. That sly grin! Oh boy! 



This guy was ready though! 





Lee and I stood together for a photo and Luca hopped in. 





When we were waiting for Jack's classroom to open at church, he smiled so big! I wasn't sure if this was the only smile opportunity we would have so I tried to take as many pictures as I could. Even though the lighting was awful! 




Sarah tried to take advantage too. 


On the way to the car after church, we got stuck in the rain. 


We were wet and untucked, but Jack was photo shoot ready!














Family photo attempt #2. 










The thing about post church photos is this- untucked, silly, hyper, hungry, tired- but great, silly memories nonetheless. Perfectly imperfect. 


Luca on the left (age 2.5, I was pregnant with Jack)//Jack on the right (age 2.5)



On Sunday morning, around 2 am, Luca woke and was sick. And then he woke every hour or so after that. He finally got up and out of bed around 7 am and came running into our room all smiles saying, "Happy Easter! I can't wait to celebrate today!" Almost as if he hadn't been up most of the night? It was really confusing, to be honest. I wasn't sure what was going on. He had a low-grade fever, but he wasn't complaining of a stomach ache. We went downstairs and did Easter baskets, and hung out while I monitored Luca. His temperature slowly began to rise over the course of the morning.




I sort of unintentionally did a lot less than normal in their Easter baskets this year. But I didn't feel too badly because the boys have really kind and generous grandparents that send packages in the mail and in the photos below you'll see love on them well.







We decided that we would head over to my parents, even though he wasn't feeling great. He could rest on their couch for the day. My parents always fill baskets and hide eggs for the boys, and this year, their neighbors (who are the sweetest people in the whole world) hid eggs for them too. The boys loved the egg hunt. My parents filled their eggs with coins and dollar bills and the neighbors filled theirs with toys (really good toys). The boys were super blessed and super excited about how they made out!











My parents neighbors filled and hid so many eggs for the boys, and they also filled the biggest eggs I have ever seen! The boys couldn't even believe it! They were also outside watching and Mr. Rob was taking pictures with his fancy camera (that he immediately uploaded and texted us to come over so he could air drop them to us- so thoughtful and kind.), hence some way better quality photos than usual around here. 













All the goodies! 


Nana, holding all the loot! 


Opening all the eggs! 


We did brunch, so after the egg hunt my mom, Sarah, Abby, and I made that. I always really love cooking all together in the kitchen (we were just missing h). After brunch we spent most of the afternoon resting and lounging. As the afternoon wore on, it became evident that Luca also had a stomach bug. So we woke Jack from a nap late afternoon and headed home so Luca could rest.


This year, for the first time (at home), we decided to take communion together. Our church did a communion service on Good Friday, but since we didn't attend that this year we decided to partake at home. It was really special, and something I hope to continue to do for years to come. I really enjoyed doing it together. My dad read through Isaiah 53, and then he flipped to the New Testament and read where Jesus talked about it at the Last Supper. A few of us prayed and we took the bread and the juice. It was just really special.



This Easter I have been doing a devotional with my mom and Sarah. It started 6 weeks before Easter and concludes 2 weeks after Easter. So all during Holy Week I read all through the events, what Jesus did, how it fulfilled prophesies, etc. and it just hit me in such a new way this year- all that Jesus endured, all he CHOSE to endure, all that God had planned. It just all feels so sacred and holy and incredible to receive such love- love that I don't deserve. I learned some new things that I have overlooked in years past, I re-learned things I had forgotten, but mostly, I just felt His love and grace in a new way- in a way like I never have before. I think that is why taking communion felt so important to me this year. Because I wanted to be intentional about remembering. Going to church, getting dressed up, having photo shoots, hiding eggs- those are all fun things to do to celebrate. But the one thing that Bible says to do to remember is what I felt strongly I wanted to do. So we did, and I am so glad we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment